Wednesday, February 2, 2011

La Chandeleur

Today, February 2, is La Chandeleur. It is a holiday in France that celebrates eating crepes. Which means that for dinner I had 2 ham and cheese crepes and 2 banana and chocolate crepes. I think that this is a holiday that I am going to be bringing back to America...

The past few days haven't been bad... During the day I have been hanging out at the IES center and reading, watching French movies, and drinking hot tea when I don't have class. Last night I went to "conversation club" where a bunch of French students and a bunch of IES (American) students meet at the IES center and talk for 45 minutes in French and 45 minutes in English. It is a lot of fun and a great place to meet French students! My group talked about music and politics for the most part- it was very interesting to hear what the French thought of our government. And I also learned a lot about the French government as well!

Communication is getting a lot easier! I don't have much trouble at all now going into shops or small cafes... usually "Je voudrais un cafe/une sand-wich/une coca..." (I would like a coffee/sandwich/coca cola...) is usually sufficient. It is getting a lot easier to talk to my host family too, every evening at dinner my host mom makes me tell her about my day in French and I am getting pretty good at it! Also in the IES center, "Anglais est interdit!" (English is forbidden) We are absolutely required to speak French to everyone at IES. There are ears everywhere so if we even say so much as a word in English it will be heard and we will be reprimanded. While it is annoying at times, I am starting to get used to it.

Well, after eating all of those crepes I think it is almost my bedtime.

A toute a l'heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment