Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Un autre jour en France!

The past two days have been busy busy busy and tons of information. Yesterday morning, we met at the IES center and had our administrative orientation where we basically learned everything we would need to know about life in Nantes. After this, we went to lunch. A few of us found a cute little cafe in La Place Graslin near IES which was delicious. (However, my coke cost almost 4 euros...très expensive!) After lunch, we had an orientation on family life in France. This is important for us to know in our homestays so that we know the typical way of life in the home. Very very different than in America! After this second orientation, we were split up into 3 groups based on our placement test we had taken the day before. These groups will be the group that we have our French language classes with. My group is called groupe Bretagne. With these groups, we were given a tour of the couer de ville (heart of the city) of Nantes and the main places that we would need to know. When the tour was finished, at about 5:00 (or 17h00 here) we were able to head back to our host family's house. My host mother had walked me to IES that morning, but I was supposed to find my way back by myself. It is about a fifteen minute walk. I got lost for a few minutes but soon I found my way and made it home fairly easily!

This morning, we began by having a security orientation so that we would all know the important security measures for the semester. Then, the director of the program introduced us to the academics of the program so we could begin deciding what courses we want to take. For lunch, me and 2 other girls found another cafe near IES where we had a HUGE meal of bread, hamburgers and french fries, and dessert (I had creme brulee). After lunch was an intensive 3 hour French language session with our group. Je suis très fatigue! 


I really am surrounded by the French language. It is all I hear and speak all day and I am even beginning to think in French! (A few minutes ago I thought to myself, "Je voudrais une cup de reeses" instead of I want a reeses cup out of habit). I am understanding the language so much better though. I can understand the basics of what anyone is saying but I just might not pick up all of the words. 


My host sister is learning English in school so we can help each other with our homework. It is kind of fun to help her learn English and she is definitely helpful with the French. And on Friday she is going to show me around the city again so I can get to know it better! Nantes is an absolutely beautiful place. Almost as if it is a French city on television with the cobblestone streets, small outdoor cafes and it is right on the Loire River. 


Tomorrow we have another day of intense French language courses and we are visiting the Universite de Nantes for the first time, where we will all be taking a few classes. Tomorrow night IES is hosting a small party for us to welcome us to the country. 


I know I have so much else to say but I can't even begin to think anymore right now so... à demain!!
P.S. I have uploaded some pictures to my lost blog entry of the Chateaus in Tours! 







No comments:

Post a Comment