Sunday, January 16, 2011

Orientation in Tours!

I haven't updated in a few days because we have been in Tours, France for a three day orientation period so that we can all get to know each other. We visited many chateaus/ castles. Chateau de Loches, Chateau de Chenonceaux, Chateau de Blois, and Chateau de Chambord. Chambord was definitely my favorite. It was tres beautiful! Below are some picture of the beautiful Chateaus!

Chateau de Chenonceaux

Chenonceaux

Chenonceaux 

A beautiful view from Chateau de Loches

Chateau de Blois

Blois

Chambord: My favorite! Here, I am standing at the very top
of the castle!

A beautiful picture of Chambord
      This is why it is my favorite Chateau    

The view from Chambord


The orientation period was fun but exhausting. I met a lot of people and made a lot of friends but I am having a hard time remembering names. We are supposed to speak French all the time, but we all have a bad habit of speaking "Franglais" which is basically English with French words thrown in here and there. Ex. "I am tres froid." (I am very cold). We had a placement test this morning which we all seemed to find difficult. It was 3 hours long and kind of like the SAT but in French. Not the most fun thing ever...

We still have a week before classes start so this week in orientation at IES. Basically grammar and culture intensive study. In French IES is pronounced "ee-oo-es" and when the French say it fast it sounds like they are saying "The US." So For the first week we were all trying to figure out why they wanted to take us back to America...

Some interesting things about French so far:
The cars are tiny
They do each cheese AFTER every meal
They eat bread with every meal- but it is not ever put on the plate. Always on the table
Yes, they do kiss each other on the cheek every time they leave or return from anywhere
There are multiple roundabouts on every road
The meals are HUGE (4 or 5 courses for both lunch and dinner)

Well... I am back at my host family's house and dinner smells delicious. So, Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment